About Brainstorm Productions
Brainstorm Productions Vision Statement and Anti-Bullying Commitment:
Brainstorm Productions is proud to tour live, innovative, interactive educational theatre that brings about positive social change through a range of bullying programs, cyber safety programs, positive behaviour programs, resilience programs and mental health programs for schools. We tackle bullying in school, cyber bullying, cyber safety, violence, prejudice, under-age drinking, binge drinking, teenage drug abuse, youth depression, eating disorders, family separation, values, ethics and discrimination.
Through our range of award-winning educational theatre programs, our aim is to:
- Empower students with real-life strategies to help enhance their mental health, resilience and wellbeing
- Reduce the incidence of bullying, cyber bullying and aggressive behaviour in schools
- Help students understand the importance of developing respectful relationships at school, at home and online
- Provide teachers with a range of unique student wellbeing resources and pastoral care activities, to enhance existing anti-bullying, wellbeing and cyber safety programs
- Help students develop a greater understanding of cyber safety and digital citizenship
- Provide bystanders of bullying and aggressive behaviour with the tools and confidence to support their friends and peers
- Engage students in live, interactive theatre, using authentic real-world youth experiences, that are designed to help develop student self-awareness and empathy for others
- Use young professional actors as role models to inspire a new generation to participate in and appreciate the arts
We are committed to reducing bullying in schools and encouraging positive student behaviours by incorporating sound educational principles with a creative, entertaining, engaging and action packed theatrical experience. Our live in-school performances have been created to leave a lasting impression and challenge even the most cynical students to examine their patterns of behaviour.
We are ethical, independent, inclusive and affordable. This is why 99.7% of teachers recommend Brainstorm Productions*. Click here to BOOK NOW.
Meet our current team of actors: Click here
*Of the 1200 feedback forms received from January to June - 99.7% of teachers said that they would recommend Brainstorm Productions to other schoools
Brainstorm Productions is one of the largest and most respected educational theatre companies in Australia, entertaining over 350,000 students every year for over 30 years.
We are the proud winners of:
- 'Best School Bullying Prevention Project' by The Australian & New Zealand Mental Health Association’s STAAR Awards
- ‘Award for Excellence for Performances in Schools’ from NSW Department of Education and Training (winner for 10 consecutive years)
- ‘Australian Violence Prevention Award’ from The Department of Criminology
- 'PINS Award for Excellence' from Performers in Schools (winner for 6 consecutive years)
We receive hundreds of heart-warming messages from children and teachers across Australia.
To read what schools are saying about Brainstorm Productions, click here.
Charities Brainstorm supports
- Bear Cottage
- Youth off the Streets
- Amnesty International
- Salvation Army
- Doctors without Borders
- The Luke Batty Foundation
Brainstorm Productions is also a member of Green Fleet.
PARTNERSHIPS & CERTIFICATION
Official R U OK? School Partner.
Channel 10 Documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’
Brainstorm Productions dedication to anti-bullying in schools was recognised in the Channel 10 documentary ‘From The Quadrangle’ to coincide with the National Day of Action against Bullying and Violence. Here is an excerpt from the documentary, including interviews with teachers and students about how Brainstorm Productions provides schools with real-life strategies to help students stand together against bullying.
Mamamia - Australia's Largest Online Women's Magazine
Click here to read Mamamia article '24/7 Cyber bullying: Cruel, relentless and with absolutely no escape for kids' featuring Brainstorm Productions.
If you or someone you know requires immediate assistance, then please call either Emergency Services (000) or Lifeline (13 11 14).
- Writer and Artistic Director. Jennifer Johnson has over 30 years’ experience in the arts and at all levels of education including Southern Cross University.
- Musical Director and Composer. Sean Peter has worked with many of Australia’s leading arts companies including:
- The Sydney Theatre company
- Company B
- Sydney Symphony Orchestra
- Sydney Opera House
- Disney Channel
- Music Theatre Productions ‘Hairspray’, ‘Fame’ and ‘King Kong’
- Mental Health Consultant. Dr Ameika Johnson is a registered clinical psychologist. She holds a Doctor of Clinical Psychology/Master of Science from the University of Sydney, with research publications in the areas of child and adolescent emotional wellbeing and antisocial behaviour.
- Choreographer and Movement Coach. Matthew Wells is a graduate of the University of Western Sydney and Jacque Lecoq International School for Theatre Arts in Paris.
- Guest Creative Talents. Brainstorm has also incorporated the creative talents of Bryan Moses, Neridah Waters, Andrew Cory, Alethea Jones and many other arts and educational theatre professionals.
- Administrative Team. Our specialist team are responsible for training all our actors in every facet of WH&S, Codes of Conduct in Schools and ensuring all actors are screened to work with children. The team is also on hand to help make the booking process simple, efficient and stress free for teachers and school administration staff.
- Kas Curtis - Bookings Manager
- James Grant - Fleet & Stage Manager
- Tamara MacRae - Accounts Officer
- Joceyn Perritt - Tour Coordinator
- Peter Sainsbury - Human Resource Manager
- Sarah Frare - Marketing
- Website Design. Gemma Heggie (www.digitalspice.com.au)
- Costume Design and Creation. Loretta Egan (www.lorettaegan.com.au)
- Photography. Gillian Perry (www.gillianperryfoto.com) & Jacklyn Wagner Photography
- Additional Graphic Design / Illustrators. Kylie Bridges (www.kyliebridges.com) & Story of Us (www.thestoryofus.com.au)
We’re here to help! To make a booking or talk to one of our friendly team please click here or free call 1800 676 224.
Meet the Actors
We take great delight in casting and directing talented young actors, who become great role models for children across Australia.
Ashton: Buddies + Cyberia
Hello, I am Ashton, an actor and physical theatre performer. I moved from a small town of 500 people to Melbourne to study acting at the Victorian College of Arts. I love to perform so I create a lot of my own work, having devised physical theatre shows for Adelaide Fringe and Melbourne Fringe 2015 and 2016.
I can’t believe what started as a little dream to be an actor fuelled by seeing a Brainstorm show when I was 13 has led me to be part of the touring company!
I am so excited to inspire the next generation of performers and to educate kids in an interactive and memorable way.
Bram: Buddies + Cyberia
Hi my name is Bram, I’m 23 years old and I live in Melbourne. I moved to Melbourne from Hobart to study musical theatre at the Victorian College of the Arts. I love singing and and can usually be found singing around the house and of course in the shower.
I love music especially Beyonce and I love curling up on the couch and watching a movie with my cat Ivy-Lynn, scary movies are our favourite. I’m really excited to be performing in Melbourne where I now call home and my home-town Hobart!
Eve: Verbal Combat + Wired
What a joy it is to be working as a touring actor with Brainstorm! I am an actor and director for stage and screen. I am a graduate of Charles Sturt University - Bachelor of Communications (Theatre/Media) and The Atlantic Acting School in NYC (Practical Aesthetics).
The last 5 years I have performed in venues throughout Sydney, Perth, Brisbane and London. I can’t wait to begin this exciting journey.
Rachel: Magic Words + The Flipside
Hi I’m Rachel and I’m originally from the sunny Mid North Coast, NSW. I studied in Newcastle before braving the big smoke - Sydney, to pursue work with the incredible Brainstorm Productions! I am passionate about theatre in education, and love how honest and hilarious young people can be!
I currently hold the record for locating and eating the biggest wagon wheel while on tour.
Myles: Cheap Thrills
Hi I’m Myles Waddell, I am currently based in Sydney, however I grew up and studied acting in Toowoomba, Queensland. I love watching sport, going to live music and watching movies.
Fun Fact: My first acting role was playing baby Jesus in the Nativity Scene at my sister's kindergarten - apparently I didn't cry, so mum "knew I'd be an actor."
I am so excited to be a part of this award-winning company for another year, and to spread such an important and relevant message to children across Australia.
Grady: Being Brave + Verbal Combat
I first gained the acting bug at the age of 10, when I was cast in a professional production of La’ Boheme. I recently graduated the Queensland Conservatorium Musical Theatre course (2017) and I’m very excited to be joining the Brainstorm team.
I feel extremely privileged to perform such important content to an important audience. When I’m not performing I’m usually hanging out with friends and family or watching movies/Netflix!
Harrison: Buddies + Cyberia
Hailing from the UK, I made the move over the pond to Brisbane when I was 10 and have been here ever since. I recently graduated from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music with a Bachelor of Musical Theatre!
Outside of the crazy world of performing, I love to throw around a rugby ball, spend time with mates and when I can, ski! I can’t wait to tour Sydney and Brisbane for Brainstorm in 2018 delivering kids and young adults alike impactful and meaningful material.
Jake: Magic Words + The Flipside
Hi guys, Jake here. I’m a 22-year-old performer who graduated with a Bachelor of Performance from the University of Wollongong (2016). After completing my degree I’ve moved back to the big smoke and have been spending most of my time teaching drama workshops for children.
I’m completely obsessed with my three Staffys and will be seen spending all of my spare time with them. I’m so stoked to be touring with Brainstorm and having the opportunity to engage with students and address such pertinent subject matter.
Karli: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
Hi, I’m Karli Rae and I am originally from Far North Queensland.
For the past 3 years I have been training and performing at the University of Southern Queensland in Toowoomba as one of the acting students. Apart from being an actress I love health and fitness, so most of my spare time is spent working out, in the kitchen or exploring and having fun.
I am so excited to be able to be part of Brainstorm Productions as I love performing in schools and can’t wait to meet all the awesome kids and hear their opinions on what I believe to be some really important topics!
Lachlan: Verbal Combat + Wired
I graduated from Southbank Institute of Technology with an Advanced Diploma of Arts (Acting) in 2015. Since then, I have been working in both theatre and film.
The idea of travelling from place to place to perform to a live audience has always fascinated me. It validates the work and highlights the importance of the story being told.
I was lucky enough to tour with Brainstorm Productions in 2017 and am excited to be continuing in 2018. Yet again the writing of the two plays I’m performing this year is not only beautiful but it brings with it such important messages for the students.
Marissa: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
Performing has been a big part of my life for as long as I can remember, and I am so thrilled to be joining the Brainstorm team!
After graduating high school I trained at Patrick Studios Australia before being accepted into WAAPA where I graduated in 2016 with a Bachelor of Arts in Music Theatre.
Since graduating I’ve taken part in ‘The Cabaret Showcases’ at Chapel Off Chapel, performed in MTM’s production of ‘Paris: A Rock Odyssey’ at the Melbourne Recital Centre and Crying Wolf’s inaugural production of ‘Elegies’ at The Butterfly Club.
Thomas: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
I was born into a theatrical family and graduated from the Western Australian Academy of the Performing Arts (WAAPA).
I’ve toured in China as part of the International Creative Dance Seminar and I’m really looking forward to utilizing my performance skills in the world of Theatre In Education, touring across Australia with Brainstorm for another year.
Brodie: The Protectors + The Hurting Game
Raised in central Queensland, I find traveling the country one of the best parts of working as a Brainstormer. I trained in acting at USQ in Toowoomba from 2012-14 and have worked as an independent artist/producer in Brisbane including a founding member of Share House Theatre Co.
In my spare time I focus on fitness, video games, theatre and food. I can’t thank all the Brainstorm team enough for providing me this opportunity of a life-time.
Kelly: Buddies + Cyberia
I’m a recent graduate from the University of Wollongong with a Bachelor of Performance. I am incredibly humbled to have the opportunity to work with the 2018 Brainstorm Fam.
Outside of performing, I dabble in muay thai kickboxing, drawing and dance. I like long walks on the beach and running over to pat people’s dogs.
I have a real admiration for the messages and writing in Brainstorm’s plays. I am very blessed to have such a great team behind me.
Rachel: Being Brave + Verbal Combat
I first discovered my passion for performing at the age of 9 in the professional production of The Sound of Music as Marta Von Trapp. The following year, I was lucky enough to play Annie in Annie (Gordon Frost Organisation), for which I was awarded Variety Heart Young Entertainer of the Year.
In 2008, I moved to Singapore where I achieved a First-Class Honours in Musical Theatre (BA Hons) from LASALLE College of the Arts. After graduating, I spent a year working as an actor, singer, dancer and teacher in Singapore during which time I played Martha in Spring Awakening (Pangdemonium Productions).
After 4 years in Asia, I moved to London and continued working in the industry in various different capacities for 3 and half years; including, working for Sir Cameron Mackintosh (producer of such shows as Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Mary Poppins).
I consider myself extremely lucky to have had some incredible experiences so far throughout my career and I can’t wait to continue my passion for performing and travelling with Brainstorm!